This competition worked like many others, there are various divisions and weight classes. Ashley competed in the Super Lightweight Open Division and Susanna in the Middleweight novice division. The training and preparation was intense, consisting of lifting 4-5x per week using programs designed by Tracy of the Pacific Health Club. The girls mostly kept their training to the specific activities included in the event. They also prepared themselves with a lot of functional training and high-intensity interval exercises (or HIIT).
Ashley and Susanna had competed in similar events on one other occasion, but after about 9 months of training they performed really well! Ashley tied with her competitor in just about every event, until a mishap with a wet & dirty stone in the Stone Over Bar event. This caused her and the competitor to go into a sixth round to break their tie. Ashley finished the competition just 1 point shy of the win. Suze also performed well - placing 2nd in her weight division!
Curious about the events in the competition?
- One-armed Circus Dumbbell Press: 60 seconds for as many reps as possible Ashley completed with even with 55 lbs, and Suze with 65 lbs.
- Axle Deadlift: 2" bar instead of standard 1" bar, 60 seconds for as many reps as possible. Ashley completed this event with 175lbs and Suze with 195 lbs.
- Yoke: 60 seconds to move the yoke 75 ft with no slides and one drop allowed. Both ladies completed this even with 350 lbs.
- Sled Drag: 60 seconds to move the yoke 75ft. Ashley completed this event with 220 lbs, and Suze with 250lbs
- Stone over Bar: 60 seconds to rep the stone over a 48" bar as many times as possible. Ashley completed this event with 145lbs and Suze with 175 lbs.
Great job, Ladies! Onondaga Physical Therapy is happy to have been part of this event with you.