What causes Lumbar Strain?
- Poor conditioning
- Improper lifting/Bending techniques
- Improperly warmed up muscles
Symptoms of Lumbar Strain...
- Pain around the low back and upper buttocks. This pain is most often aggravated with activity, and alleviated with rest.
- Low back muscles spasms.
- If you notice loss of control of bowels or bladder, progressive lower extremity weakness or severe, constant pain - you should contact your physician immediately. These are all signs of a worsening injury to the spine.
The good news, Lumbar Strain can be treated...
- Physical Therapy. PT's will instruct you in properly conditioning exercises to recover from the current episode, and prevent another from happening again. Your PT will likely instruct you with some specific stretching and strengthening techniques for the low back, hips and abdomen.
- Relative Rest. As lumbar strain is often caused by too much stress to the lumbar paraspinals, your physician and PT will likely prescribe rest or taking it easy, as well as medications. Anti-inflammatory medications and muscle relaxants are the usual go-to's in cases like these.
For more specific information or to ask your own questions about a particular case, contact one of our locations by phone or stopping in yourself. We would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Our new location in Liverpool is now open! Inside the Pacific Health Club at 604 Old Liverpool Road, we are able to offer physical and aquatic therapy.
Liverpool not convenient? Our other locations - Onondaga Hill, Baldwinsville & Cicero are still available as well.